Representatives from the North Florida TPO and the Florida Dept. of Transportation District 2 broke ground Jan. 10 to develop a $9 million 25,000 square foot, one-story Regional Transportation Management Center (RTMC) at the State Regional Service Center complex, 930 North Jefferson Street. The TPO is funding the project with federal dollars, which should take about 12 months to complete.
During a ground breaking ceremony, TPO Executive Director Jeff Sheffield said the Operations Center staff from the Florida Highway Patrol and FDOT along with partnering agencies from Duval, Clay, Nassau and St. Johns will be housed in the RTMC. “Having law enforcement, fire/rescue, traffic engineering and other agencies under one roof will improve communications and coordination and expedite notification and response times in critical situations,” Sheffield added.
Other features include the following:
• State –of-the art technology with multiple video walls tracking traffic camera images, traffic flow sensors, news and weather
• 32 adjustable operator consoles arranged in groups of four
• Latest energy-saving technologies with at least 30 percent savings a year in electric utility usage
• The HVAC system will save $50,000 per year by incorporating chilled beam cooling to reduce humidity and maintain equipment
• FDOT will utilize 20,000 square feet. The site will include 125 surface parking spaces and a communication tower
• The North Florida TPO will relocate its offices to the new facility using 5,000 square feet of space
Others offering remarks included State Rep. Lake Ray, a long-standing champion of Intelligent Transportation Systems; FDOT District 2 Secretary Greg Evans; Lt. Colonel Ernesto Duarte, Florida Highway Patrol; and outgoing TPO Chairman Danny Leeper.
(From left) Pete Vega, FDOT District 2 ITS Engineer; Clay County Commissioner, Clay Chamber President and TPO member Doug Conkey; Lt. Col. Ernesto Duarte, Florida Highway Patrol; former Atlantic Beach Mayor and former TPO Vice Chair Mike Borno; TPO Executive Director Jeff Sheffield; TPO Chairwoman Nancy Sikes-Kline, St. Augustine Commission and Vice Mayor; State Rep. Lake Ray, former TPO Chairman; Nassau County Commissioner and outgoing TPO Chairman Danny Leeper; and FDOT District 2 Secretary Greg Evans.